Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Why Worship

I was reading over on my friend's blog about James K.A. Smith's book Desiring the Kingdom: Worship, Worldview and Cultural Formation and I was reminded of Anne Lamott's retelling of the story of A.J. Muste during the Vietnam War. The story goes like this:


Abraham Johannes Muste (1885-1967) was an American clergyman and political activist. During the Vietnam War he stood outside in front of the White House every night with a lighted candle. He stood in silent protest night after night no matter the weather, no matter the turn out of activists. He stood with others and he stood alone. Finally, one evening a reporter approached him and asked, "Mr. Muste, do you really think you're going to change the policies of this country by standing outside with a candle?" 



"Oh," Muste replied," I don't do it to change the country. I do it so that the country won't change me."


And that is why I worship the God revealed in Jesus.


--> Read Joe's review of Desiring the Kingdom

1 comment: