Monday, September 24, 2012

Sex as Escape from the World



The times are tough now, just getting tougher 
This old world is rough, it's just getting rougher 
Cover me, come on baby, cover me 
Well I'm looking for a lover who will come on in and cover me 
Promise me baby you won't let them find us 
Hold me in your arms, let's let our love blind us 
Cover me, shut the door and cover me 
Well I'm looking for a lover who will come on in and cover me 

Outside's the rain, the driving snow 
I can hear the wild wind blowing 
Turn out the light, bolt the door 
I ain't going out there no more 

This whole world is out there just trying to score 
I've seen enough I don't want to see any more, 
Cover me, come on and cover me 
I'm looking for a lover who will come on in and cover me 
Looking for a lover who will come on in and cover me


"The only hope the singer has is to find a lover who will 'cover' him, in whose presence (and in whose body) he can hide, and lose himself, and avoid the challenges of life. Outside there is rain and driving snow. Against these forces of nature - and the social forces they represent - the sing wants only to retreat into a purely private life. I ain't going out there no more, he sings. He no longer wants to face the struggles and trials life continually deals forth. Let our love blind us, the singer implores his companion. Let us be blind to the problems of the world and lose ourselves in one another. 

But such a love, founded entirely on escape from the world, is a truncated love. In its most profound sense, perhaps, love is the opposite of escape. It is by engaging life, in all its messiness and contradictoriness and complexity and hurt and pain, that we truly come to know love. The further we move from this full engagement, the close we approach mere hedonism." (Jeffrey B. Symynkywicz, The Gospel According to Bruce Springsteen, 95)

"Today, more than ever, the lesson of Marguerite Duras's novels is relevant: the way - the only way - to have an intense and fulfilling personal (sexual) relationship is not for the couple to look into each other's eyes, forgetting about the world around them, but, while holding hands, to look together outside, at a third point (the Cause for which both are fighting, in which both are engaged). (Slavoj Zizek, Welcome to the Desert of the Real, 85)

No comments:

Post a Comment